Saturday, August 25, 2007

ADVENTURES IN GROCERY SHOPPING

Mason and I need a definite break from each other. Shopping at Cub did not go so smoothly today. Of course, letting him watch 3 hours of Sat. am cartoons before going was not the most intelligent decision on my part.

So we're going along in Cub and he wants to be helpful, but he is in this new phase of energy
(and was a little spastic from the TV watching), so he is EVERYWHERE and it's like he has 100 hands!! and he is grabbing fruit and squeezing it to see if it's fresh, and tossing it in the cart or throwing it back into the bin. So we just barely make it out of the produce section with edible food, and we find out that Cub is out of the free cookies for kids. Not such a good thing. But Mason works through it and does great, and I was so proud of him.

Dairy aisle was a bit challenging as he is grabbing at all the yogurts and again grew 100 hands and assumed the speed of lightning. I think he actually morphed into 3 children at one point.

Now, the rest of the shopping entails Mason trying to hang onto the handle with his feet on the basket thing on the bottom. Usually not a problem, but today, he has to have his hands in a certain place and and so he is head-butting my arm, pushing me with his body, leaning into me to make me move over, and whatever other irritating thing you can imagine. I can barely push the cart as it is, and my energy is drained, I don't have any stamina, especially with the partial bedrest and this was my first outing in I don't know how many days.

I felt like everyone could tell I was going to BLOW!!! And he's whining and crying, and fussing, etc... I'm sure the single people out there were thrilled they didn't have any children yet. And I am telling him of his consequences in a forced calm voice with clenched teeth. But we made it, and he is in his room now for time-out. We just need a break from each other. This time in the house together is just too intense. I love Mason more than my own life and I appreciate every great thing about him and I absolutely adore him. And I need some breathing room. :) And I know he does too!!

The Dr said I could start gradually increasing activity, but I did some light cleaning today and with the grocery shopping and I am now crampy. I am guessing that activity will need to wait until the end of Nov.

I am starting to take Synthroid for my thyroid tomorrow am. I have subclinical hypothyroidism, which means I'm not really hypothyroid, but some of my levels are off. By taking the Synthroid, I will help protect the baby's IQ. If I didn't take the Synthroid, the baby's IQ would be lowered. I'm not sure by how much or why yet, my Dr called me on Friday from her car with her young children on her day off, so I didn't ask too many questions.

This is actually a relief, because at first we thought I was actually hypothyroid and there are some pretty devastating effects on the baby if I really was. I was in freak-out mode for about 24 hours...until yesterday afternoon when my OB called me.----I am sure that is also adding to the frustration with Mason. SOOOO, that is what has been going on around here. I started another post, but had to save it in draft, because it takes so long to upload the pictures on dial-up. I will have some fun pictures on here soon.

I hope everyone is doing well, and I bet that you are all glad now that your children are grown huh? :)

Oh yeah, Derek told me he was going to post on here a few nights ago, but I don't see anything. i'll have to get on him. He has a new "lady" friend now, so his time is being used up a bit more. And he is working alot too.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Increasing your activity does not mean cleaning. Leave that for Craig.
I can see you and Mason shopping. Some fun. The other day in our grocery store there was a daddy with three little boys. A baby in the cart, and two pushing kid size carts. They were chasing each other with their carts and bumping into each other. Then towards the end one was crying because his cart was too heavy. I bet that dad was glad to get home. Somewhere I think there is a rule that you never, never take children shopping. Right, Cathy???

Anonymous said...

haha!!

Usually Mason is an excellent shopper, but those days may be in the past?
That poor dad in the store!

Catherine said...

And, now, you know why Alyssa didn't know what a shopping cart was until she was 4. Shopping was reserved for my 'alone' time, OR armed with Randy for back-up. Besides, Alyssa was a terror in the store. I remember being panicked when she hid in the middle of a rack of clothes one time. She thought it was soooooo funny. She was 2 and never went to a store again, until we moved to St. Cloud in 1992....

The end.